I have been struggling for baking inspiration recently. I have recently moved to a new house and am still getting used to the oven, so I decided to think about baking that involves little actual baking. My family love Rocky Road, and I wanted to try and find a good ‘base’ recipe to alter and change for different occasions. I decided to wander around my local supermarket to see what goodies were on offer for inspiration, and that was how I came up with Crunchie and Rolo Rocky Road. You could add absolutely anything to this (as long as the mixture covers the extra ingredients)- I’m already planning to add fudge, white chocolate, popping candy, mini eggs, chocolate orange…. the list goes on! I also just used a basic chocolate to stay on budget, however you could choose to use a fancier chocolate if you wish!
The recipe is incredibly easy to make, and would be a great activity with young children or families- especially choosing and then bashing and crushing up the ingredients!
200g Dark Chocolate (I used ASDA’s mid range Dark Chocolate)
3 tbsp Golden Syrup
135g Butter (could use margerine if you wish)
120g Digestive Biscuits, crushed to various sizes
75g Mini Marshmallows (or chopped larger ones)
2 packs of Rolos (one pack aside for decoration)
3 Crunchie Bars (one bar aside for decoration)
- Grease and line a small to medium sized tin. Square or rectangular work the best for cutting.
- Crush Digestives and Crunchies to various sizes- from dust to a bottletop- and set aside. You can do this in various ways- I used a potato masher in a large bowl, but you could also place in a strong freezer bag and bash with a rolling pin!
- Break up the chocolate and place in a large pan with the butter and syrup. Melt over a gentle heat until no lumps of chocolate remain. Set aside.
- Add your other ingredients (in this case marshmallows and Rolos) to the biscuit mixture and mix well.
- Pour the combined biscuit mixture into the pan of melted chocolate, and stir to coat everything.
- Tip the mixture into the lined baking tin.
- Crush the remaining Crunchie and sprinkle this and the additional Rolos over the top for decoration.
- Place in the fridge to chill for at least two hours before taking out of the tin and cutting into fingers or squares. I managed 35 bite sized squares, but you can choose the appropriate size!